Advisor: Mr. Ryan Peyton
Who We Are
The MATHCOUNTS Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that strives to engage middle school students of all ability and interest levels in fun, challenging math programs, in order to expand their academic and professional opportunities. Middle school students exist at a critical juncture in which their love for mathematics must be nurtured, or their fear of mathematics must be overcome. MATHCOUNTS provides students with the kinds of experiences that foster growth and transcend fear to lay a foundation for future success.
For more than 30 years MATHCOUNTS has provided enriching, extracurricular opportunities to students and free, high-quality resources to educators. Every child is unique, but we believe all children are capable of seeing the beauty and joy of math, whether they come to us already passionate about math, or intimidated by it.
There are many paths to math. We work to ensure that all students discover theirs.
What We Do Through three distinct programs, we empower middle school students of all ability levels and backgrounds to reach their full potential in mathematics.
We cultivate talent in the nation's brightest young minds through the MATHCOUNTS Competition Series. We bring together students from all 50 states in a series of in-person contests - the only competition program of its kind.
We inspire curiosity and build confidence in students of all levels through The National Math Club. We help create a space where learning math is fun, social and supportive, so that every student becomes a lifelong math learner.
We engage students in project-based learning that is innovative and creative through the Math Video Challenge. By having student teams create their own math teaching videos, we enable students to connect and apply math to their own lives, and teach others in the process.
- At the 2013 Raytheon MATHCOUNTS National Competition, 325 MATHCOUNTS students, coaches and volunteers set a Guinness World Record for the fastest time to create a human formation of the first 25 rows of Pascal's Triangle. The task was completed in just 6 minutes, 16.57 seconds.
- MATHCOUNTS has been recognized in White House ceremonies by President Barack Obama, as well as former Presidents George W. Bush, William J. Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Ronald W. Reagan.
- The MATHCOUNTS Foundation has received two White House citations as an outstanding private sector initiative.
- MATHCOUNTS has been recognized on the National Association of Secondary School Principals National Advisory List of Student Contests and Activities for 2013-2014.
- MATHCOUNTS has received the Independent Charities of America Seal of Excellence.
- Charity Navigator has recognized MATHCOUNTS as a four-star charity two years in a row, placing it in the top 16% of all U.S. charities.